Facts About Afghanistan
Afghanistan Basic Facts
Fun Facts About Afghanistan
- Afghanistan is located in Central Asia with Iran to the west and Pakistan to the east.
- Mountains and dry deserts cover most of the landscape of Afghanistan.
- Nearly half of Afghanistan’s population are Pashtuns and live in the south around Kandahar. They are descendants of people who came to the country 3,200 years ago.
- Many Afghans live in the fertile valleys between the mountains and grow their crops and tend to their animals. Only 20 percent of the land is used as fields.
- Afghans take pride in making and flying their own kites. They even have kite fights and use wire or glass in their kites to cut the kite strings of rival kite flyers.
- Tea is the favorite Afghan drink and a popular meal is palau, made from rice, sheep and goat meats, and fruit.
Geography of Afghanistan
Map of Afghanistan
Color in Afghanistan on this map of Asia!
Afghanistan Flag Activity
Flag from HERE
HERE is a fun printable Afghanistan flag coloring sheet!
Famous Afghan Landmarks
Blue Mosque – Mazar-i-Sharif
The Blue Mosque is often described as an oasis for peace. Thousands of white doves live around the mosque. Legend has it the mosque is so sacred that any dove with a speck of color on its feathers will instantly become pure white after entering the mosque’s vicinity.
The Blue Mosque is an important place of pilgrimage because it’s believed to house the remains of Ali bin Abi Talib, a son-in-law and cousin of the prophet Muhammad.
- Dar-ul-Aman Palace
- Citadel of Herat
- Bagh-e Babur Garden
- Minaret of Jam
- Great Mosque of Herat
- National Gallery