These Mexico art activities are wonderful for getting to know Mexican leaders and creators, and learning from their gifts and style. Keep reading until the end for some great crafts and children’s movies centering Mexican culture.
Featured Mexican Artist: Lourdes Villagomez
Nature in Mexico
Few nations on Earth support as many plant and animal species as Mexico does. Located partway between the Equator and the Arctic Circle, it is a refuge for animals fleeing extreme cold in the north and intense heat in the south.
In northern Mexico, deserts are full of plant and animal species that have found ways to survive the harsh environment. On Mexico’s west coast, gray whales swim thousands of miles each year from Alaska to breed in the waters off Baja California.
The rain forests and coastal wetlands of eastern Mexico are home to thousands of tropical plant species and elusive animals like jaguars and quetzal birds.
The Monarch butterfly migrates to the Oyamel forests of Mexico each year to overwinter in warmer temperatures. Northwest of Mexico City lies the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve, which was designated a World Heritage site in 2008. Check out this beautiful video of a monarch swarm from the forests of Mexico!
Featured Mexico Craft for Kids
Frida Kahlo Activity For Kids
Frida painted several self-portraits in a distinct, colorful style. You, too, can paint a self portrait!
- White paper
- Paint or oil pastels in bright colors
- Paint brushes
- A mirror
- An image of Self Portrait – The Frame, by Frida Kahlo
- Observe yourself in the mirror. Look at the shape of your eyes and nose.
- Start by drawing an oval, then split it into four parts. Draw eyes along the middle horizontal line, then fill in the rest in whatever colors represent your life!
HERE are 9 other Frida Kahlo-inspired art projects for kids!
Mexico Craft & Culture Activities for Kids
- Learn about Frida Kahlo while making this mini piñata
- Or try a Frida Kahlo inspired self portrait here
- Learn about Mexican metal art with this Repujado cuff bracelet craft
- Try this Mexican folk art amate painting
- Make these beautiful tissue paper flowers and papel picado for a fiesta
- Try your hand at Mexican wrestling with these luchador masks
Mexico STEM Activity for Kids: Chichen Itza
- Discuss some of the key features of Chichen Itza and why it is important. Then build your own model of Chichen Itza. How many steps can you build?
- You may also want to consider if you were an ancient Maya, what god you would revere. Would you pay homage to the rain god? The earth god? How would you design your own temple to that god?