January 2022 Global Children’s Book Club Discussion Schedule
Tuesday, 1/4: Picture book read aloud of The Legend of Old Befana
Tuesday, 1/11: Chapter book discussion of 1st half of The Orphan of Ellis Island
Tuesday, 1/18: Recipe cook along
Tuesday, 1/25: Chapter book discussion of 2nd half of The Orphan of Ellis Island
Featured Italy Picture Book for Kids: The Legend of Old Befana: An Italian Christmas Story by Tomie dePaola
The Legend of Old Befana Discussion Questions
- Old Befana felt very committed to her home and chores. Do you have chores that you do in your home?
- What sorts of gifts does Old Befana give? What type of present would you like to give to someone very important to you?
- Do you think Old Befana is mean or kind, or both?
Featured Italy Chapter Book for Kids: The Orphan of Ellis Island by Elvira Woodruff
The Orphan of Ellis Island Discussion Questions
- Do you have a family? What does your family look like?
- Have you ever moved to a new country, city, or school? What was it like? How can you help someone else who is new feel more comfortable?
- The tour guide calls Ellis Island both the “Island of Hope” and the “Island of Tears.” Which do you think is more accurate, and why? Can they both be true?
- How do you think Dominic was similar to and different from his ancestors?
Italian Folk Tale
Italian Language Lesson For Kids
Italy Writing Prompts for Kids
- Who is part of your family? Are you friends with any of your family members?
- If you could go back in time to meet any ancestor, who would you choose?
- What is the difference between a refugee and an immigrant? When do you think it might become necessary to become a refugee?