May 2021 Global Children’s Book Club Discussion Schedule
Diverse Chapter Book Discussion Schedule
To participate in a virtual live discussion, I’d love to have you join in on Patreon! You’ll also receive a monthly newsletter with additional discussion questions, a recap of my Instagram discussions, and occasional chapter book and picture book author visits.
Vietnam Picture Books Reading Schedule
I have provided free YouTube read alouds below for each of the weekly picture books. I’ll briefly discuss each book on Instagram during the week. I’ll also integrate the picture books into the monthly live discussion, and you’ll also have access to additional discussion questions, a recap of my Instagram discussions, and occasional chapter book and picture book author visits by joining in on in on Patreon.
Week of 5/3: A Different Pond
Week of 5/10: Going Home, Coming Home
Week of 5/17: Adrift At Sea
Week of 5/24: In A Village By The Sea
Featured Vietnam Books for Kids
Vietnam Chapter Book for Kids
Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhhà Lai
Here are additional resources to learn through reading the book:
Inside Out & Back Again Discussion Questions
- Which character did you relate to the most in the book? Why?
- Papaya is a special fruit in the book? Are there any fruits that you really love, or that remind you of other people or places?
- Anger is an emotion we sometimes feel and that is shown in the book, too. Have you ever felt anger? What did you do about it?
- If you moved somewhere that spoke a different language than the one you know, would you want to learn the other language? Why or why not?
- Have you ever kept a journal before? If so, did you like it and are you glad you did? If not, would you like to write one in the future?
Featured Vietnam Picture Books for Kids: Children’s Books About Vietnam
Week 1 (Week of 5/3) Vietnam Picture Book Read Aloud: A Different Pond
A Different Pond Read Aloud
Week 2 (Week of 5/10) Picture Book Read Aloud: Going Home, Coming Home
Going Home, Coming Home Read Aloud
Week 3 (Week of 5/17) Picture Book Read Aloud: Adrift at Sea
Adrift At Sea Read Aloud
Week 4 (Week of 5/24) Picture Book Read Aloud: In A Village By The Sea
In A Village By The Sea Read Aloud
Other Children’s Books About Vietnam
Vietnamese Folk Tale
Vietnamese Language Lesson with Kids
Vietnam Writing Prompts for Kids and Vietnam Discussion Questions
- What is a refugee? When do you think it might become necessary to become a refugee?
- If you were a refugee in another country, would you want to keep parts of your old culture? Why or why not?
- Is there a natural part of the earth that affects your day to day life, like the rivers might in Vietnam?
- What is a folk tale? Do you have any folk tales in your family?
- What is Tet and when is it celebrated? Does your family celebrate any special holidays?