I’ve tried a lot of recipes for vegetarian mushroom gravy, and none really hit the spot. So I finally adapted this recipe and came up with my own. I hope you enjoy!
Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 lbs sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt, to taste
- splash cream (optional)
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Add minced shallots and cook until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook until all the liquid is released and mushrooms are starting to brown.
- Sprinkle flour on top of mushrooms and stir while cooking until all white streaks are gone, about 30-60 seconds.
- Slowly pour in broth 1/2 cup at a time, mixing after each addition to get the mixture smooth.
- Cook on medium low heat until slightly thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in dried thyme and salt to taste, as well as splash of cream if you wish.
Loosely adapted from here