I haven’t talked about it much on here, but I’m a vegetarian. Have been my whole life. My parents grew up vegetarian, and so did I, and I’ve never felt the need to venture away from it.A few weeks ago, the lovely Erica wrote about eating a more vegetarian-friendly lifestyle, and I offered to send her over some more tried-and-true veggie recipes. She said “yeah or post them on your blog.” And here we are.
I bring you my top 10 favorite* vegetarian meals.
*With easily accessible online recipes. Rome wasn’t built in a day, you know.
- Homemade pizza: This is my favorite crust. We usually do some mix of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, caramelized onions, basil, and whatever other veggies we have around. I also love caramelized fennel and I imagine we’ll be doing some more roasted veggies now that we’re getting into that season.
- Build-Your-Own TexMexican: We’ll usually do some sort of huevos (good gracious, we love this “recipe”) or tacos or Cafe Rio-type salad (this creamy tomatillo dressing with homemade buttermilk dressing is great) at least once a week. The huevos are a snap to pull together, we always have the ingredients on hand, and it’s way more than the sum of its parts. We eat them with fresh pico and guac. For a quick meal, we’ll do Latin store-bought corn tortillas, but if we have more time, I’ll make homemade wheat tortillas.
- Parmesan and Root Vegetable Lasagna: A little more work, but the ultimate in fall comfort food.
- Chickpea Pasta: We love adding chickpeas to our pasta to bulk it up and make it more filling. We usually use whole-wheat penne.
- Chana Masala: Are you getting the idea that we love Smitten? This flavors of this are spot on, and it comes together in about 30-40 minutes. We break with Indian tradition and eat it with brown rice. I’ve also done it with kidney beans with good results.
- Corn Chowder: Just seems right for fall.
- Portobello and Black Bean Enchiladas with Roasted Poblano Sauce: Again, a little more work, but good heavens these are tasty. The salsa I could practically drink from a cup.
- Red Coconut Curry Noodles: Delish.
- Artichoke Stuffed Shells: Perfect for a nicer meal at home.
- Crepes: This is the most authentic batter recipe I’ve found. Fill with any combo of cheese and veggies and sauce. And Nutella. Always Nutella.