1 16 oz package sliced mushrooms
1 T olive oil
Coarse salt, such as sea or kosher
Several big handfuls of kale, chopped (I like mine pretty small)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 – 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
1/4 – 1/2 cup Parmesan, shredded
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Place mushrooms in roasting pan and mix with oil and several shakes of coarse salt. Roast intil mushrooms have released liquid and shriveled slightly, about 10-15 minutes.
2. While mushrooms are roasting, combine rest of ingredients in a medium bowl. When mushrooms are done, fold them into the filling mixture.
3. Increase oven temperature to 475F.
4. Take your ball of risen dough. Cut it in half, then in halves again, and halves a 3rd time so that you have 8 equally sized pieces of dough. Stretch one dough ball into a circle about 8-10″ in diameter. Place 1/8th of the filling on half of the circle, leaving room around the edge. Fold over and turn up the edges to crimp. Repeat with other balls.
5. Gently place calzones on a lined baking sheet or on a cornmeal-lined pizza paddle and slide directly onto pizza stone (my preference). Bake 9-11 minutes, until calzones are puffed and golden. Serve plain or with marinara dipping sauce.
(The exact amounts of the ingredients will depend on your preference. Just add enough egg to have it bind together nicely. You can make yours more of less cheesy, so these amounts are just approximations. Calzones are pretty forgiving! Like homemade pizza, you can kind of throw whatever veggies you want in there. I think roasted sweet potato and fennel would be delicious!)