Both slow cooker and Instant Pot friendly, this creamy tomato soup recipe will surely become your go-to comfort meal. It’s flavorful, uses simple ingredients, and takes only 5 minutes to make. Add in some frozen tortellini or serve with grilled cheese to round out your meal!
This post about our favorite creamy tomato soup recipe contains affiliate links, but all opinions are 100% my own. That means I earn a small commission if you purchase through my link, but doesn’t change your price.
I am a sucker for tomato soup. Paired with grilled cheese sandwiches, it’s the vegetarian equivalent of comfort food. I’ve been trying to settle on a simple creamy tomato soup recipe I love. I wanted something I could throw in the crockpot or Instant Pot, a recipe that deepens the flavors and isn’t just the same thing as letting it simmer on the stove for half an hour.
And this creamy tomato soup recipe is it. It’s ridiculously fast to put together, perfect for the slow cooker or Instant Pot, and most importantly, so so delicious. I know we’ll be eating it all winter long.
1/22/20 Edit: I first shared this recipe over 6 years ago, and we’ve continued to make it consistently ever since. Our kids love it. Our 9 year old makes it as one of his meals our kids can prepare by themselves. It’s gotten rave reviews from every single person to whom we’ve served it (which is a lot). It really is the best.
OPTIONAL TORTELLINI OR MINI RAVIOLI:
Many times when we make this, we add in a bag of frozen tortellini. If you’d like to do the same, throw in the tortellini after blending the soup and let it cook on low (or on the warming setting on the Instant Pot) for about 15-30 minutes until al dente.
5-Minute Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe (Crockpot or Instant Pot)
5-Minute Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Pinch ground allspice
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 28oz cans whole peeled tomatoes packed in juice, one can drained
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt, to taste
- 1 large package frozen tortellini
- Heat butter in large saute pan. Saute onion until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add in tomato paste, allspice, and flour and combine well. Cook 1 minute.
- While onion cooks, open cans of tomatoes. Pour two cans in the crockpot. Drain the 3rd can and add just the tomatoes to the crockpot. Add in brown sugar. Add in onion mixture.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Blend with an immersion blender or blend in batches in a regular blender (be very careful when blending hot soup in a blender). Stir in cream and salt and serve with grilled cheese sandwiches, of course.
- If using frozen tortellini, add to slow cooker after blending and keep on warm setting for 1/2 hour to heat through.
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute setting. Add butter and let melt. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in tomato paste, allspice, and flour and combine well. Cook 1 minute.
- Add in tomatoes, juice, and brown sugar. Mix together.
- Switch to manual pressure setting. Cook on high for 25 minutes (ensure top knob is sealed).
- When Instant Pot beeps, quick release pressure by turning knob to venting.
- Immersion blend until smooth. Pour in cream and serve.
- If using frozen tortellini, add to Instant Pot after blending and keep on Warm setting for 1/2 hour to cook through.
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE, YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE POSTS TOO:
- The Best Easy & Hearty Vegetarian Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Chana Masala Recipe
- 4 Family Dinner Recipes Kids Can Make
DON’T NEED INSTANT POT VEGETARIAN RECIPES QUITE YET? PIN THIS POST FOR LATER!