We’re so excited to be virtually re-visiting Morocco with kids this week!I For those of you who are just joining here, our family is starting a weekly Family Explorers Dinner Club for the month of May in which we’re studying 4 countries we’ve recently visited with our 4 kids. You can find all the details HERE, as well as a quick, dinnertime and kid-friendly GUIDE to learning about Morocco with kids.
We decided to do our dinner on Sunday night so we could test out a recipe for Moroccan lentil soup to share with you guys. I hope it helps set the mood as you have your own global learning dinner this week!
Weeknight Vegetarian Dinner: Moroccan Lentil Soup
Adapted from Panning the Globe
Moroccan Lentil Soup Recipe
- 4 T
medium onions, diced
stalks celery, diced
large carrots, diced
cloves garlic, minced
- 1 t
- 2 t
- 1 t
- 2 c
dry black lentils
- 9 c
28oz can of whole plum tomatoes
- 1 c
cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Salt to taste (about 1-2 teaspoons)
- In large pot or Dutch oven, warm oil and saute onions until translucent.
- Add celery, carrots, and garlic and cook over medium-low heat until they've softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add all the spices and cook to toast them while continuously stirring for 2 minutes.
- Pour in lentils, broth, and tomatoes. Stir and let simmer, uncovered, for about 30-40 minutes until lentils are soft and soup is creamy.
- Add in cilantro and chickpeas and cook for 5 more minutes to meld flavors.
- Add salt to taste. Eat with Moroccan flat bread and couscous.