We’re so excited to be virtually re-visiting Morocco with kids this week!I For those of you who are just joining here, our family is starting a weekly Family Explorers Dinner Club for the month of May in which we’re studying 4 countries we’ve recently visited with our 4 kids. You can find all the details HERE, as well as a quick, dinnertime and kid-friendly GUIDE to learning about Morocco with kids.
We decided to do our dinner on Sunday night so we could test out a recipe for Moroccan lentil soup to share with you guys. I hope it helps set the mood as you have your own global learning dinner this week!
Weeknight Vegetarian Dinner: Moroccan Lentil Soup
Adapted from Panning the Globe
Moroccan Lentil Soup Recipe
- 4 T
medium onions, diced
stalks celery, diced
large carrots, diced
cloves garlic, minced
- 1 t
- 2 t
- 1 t
- 2 c
dry black lentils
- 9 c
28oz can of whole plum tomatoes
- 1 c
cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Salt to taste (about 1-2 teaspoons)
- In large pot or Dutch oven, warm oil and saute onions until translucent.
- Add celery, carrots, and garlic and cook over medium-low heat until they've softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add all the spices and cook to toast them while continuously stirring for 2 minutes.
- Pour in lentils, broth, and tomatoes. Stir and let simmer, uncovered, for about 30-40 minutes until lentils are soft and soup is creamy.
- Add in cilantro and chickpeas and cook for 5 more minutes to meld flavors.
- Add salt to taste. Eat with Moroccan flat bread and couscous.
We made this tonight and watched your learning video for Morocco and it made our dinnertime so much fun! Also, I’ve made similar dishes and my kids have grumbled but they ate seconds of this and LOVED it, for sure because it was part of a fun themed learning dinner. FABULOUS idea! Thank you!
This makes me so so happy! Thank you for letting me know!
[…] after. We loved replicating a Berber meal we ate in the desert was so fun after we returned home (RECIPE HERE). It was also fun to listen to various types of Moroccan music. All of us asked our van driver a […]