Are you interested in taking some virtual field trips with toddlers and preschoolers? Here are over forty easy activities for toddlers to help you explore right from your own home!
I’ve shared a number of tips for virtual field trips before – activities we’ve used and loved for years. But sometimes those activities just feel like a bit too much for young toddlers and preschoolers. But that doesn’t mean they can’t join in on learning about the world!
Here are some terrific ideas for virtual field trips especially geared toward the youngest learners. These are all fun and themed activities for global education, but still simple and easy for toddlers. These tips for virtual field trips will help them learn different academic skills in fun ways while they also learn about the world!
And if you’re looking for more detailed ideas for specific countries, here are some fantastic virtual travel guides to walk you through taking virtual field trips with kids!
I hope these virtual field trip ideas for toddlers and preschoolers help you have fun while you learn about the world with your young children!
This post about virtual field trips for toddlers and preschoolers contains affiliate links, but all opinions are 100% my own. That means I earn a small commission if you purchase through my link, but doesn’t change your price.
Virtual Field Trips: Tips for Toddlers & Preschoolers
Table of Contents
GLOBAL ART ACTIVITIES FOR TODDLERS
- Practice pointing out colors in a work by an artist from a country. (Look up a photo online, or this is a great book!)
- Look at a painting by an artist from a country and do bathtub finger paints to look like it.
- Make a landmark out of Play-Doh.
- Build a replica of a landmark out of magnetic tiles.
- Older preschoolers may enjoy learning to draw animals from a country.
- Color a printout of a landmark from a country.
- Do some sponge painting of a country’s flag.
- Cut out pieces of fabric to make clothing in the style of that found in a country. You can even use yarn for hair on your person!
- Do some sidewalk chalk of a country’s flag or landmark.
- Do some watercolor painting of a natural wonder in a country.
- Paint landmarks with water on the sidewalk.
- Build landmarks out of old cardboard boxes.
- Tape paper to the underside of a table and color a picture of a country’s sky.
GLOBAL MATH ACTIVITIES FOR TODDLERS
- Look at a famous landmark from a country and find different shapes in it. Practice cutting out those shapes! (These are our favorite scissors for toddlers.)
- Print out a picture of a landmark and cut it into various shapes. Practice reassembling it like a puzzle and glue it down.
- Count the number of stars/stripes/colors on a country’s flag.
- Color currency from a country and cut it out. Practice counting it.
- Build a fort of a landmark from a country and count the number of blankets or sheets you need. Learn how to fold them back up in halves or quarters!
- Create a tape car track and drive your cars to that country.
GLOBAL LANGUAGE ACTIVITIES FOR TODDLERS
- Learn about a landmark and what letter it starts with. Practice writing the letter.
- Write out the name of a landmark from a country and practice putting dot stickers on the lines.
- Read a story about a country. (Here’s one of our favorites, and here are a bunch more fiction books for virtual field trips!)
- Look up a video of how to say “hello” in the language of a different country.
- Find an online folktale from that country.
- Look at photos from a country and describe details that you see.
GLOBAL SCIENCE ACTIVITIES FOR TODDLERS
- Make toilet paper roll binoculars. Use them to observe in books what animals and plants live in a country. (Or take them outside to imagine!)
- Learn about what flowers grow in that country. Decorate fingerprint flowers to look like them!
- Make a paper plate animal of an animal that lives in that country. (Tutorial HERE.)
- Learn about the weather in that country right now, find things to represent it, and glue those on a paper (e.g., if it’s fall, find some leaves outside, if it’s sunny, cut out a yellow sun, etc.).
- Build a model of a famous landmark out of Keva blocks.
- Create an ocean in a bottle for a country near water.
- Find simple objects around the house that represent that country and find out if they sink or float. (For example, grapes if they grow them, sand if it’s by the ocean, etc.)
GLOBAL COOKING AND BAKING PROJECTS FOR TODDLERS
- Make a treat from a country and count while measuring the ingredients.
- Do a beans sensory bin while making dinner.
- To keep it easy, make a simple drink from that country.
- Find out what kind of bread they eat in that country. Make some homemade butter to go along with it!
GLOBAL MUSIC ACTIVITIES FOR TODDLERS
- Have a dance party to music from that country.
- Watch a YouTube dance lesson.
- Clap along to the country’s national anthem.
- Shake egg shakers to a song from that country.
- Dance with a parachute to music from that country.
- Put painters’ tape lines on the floor and follow them while the music is going. Stop when the music stops.
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST ABOUT VIRTUAL FIELD TRIPS FOR TODDLERS, YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE POSTS TOO:
- 65+ Things to Do Outside with Kids at Home
- Global Learning Guides
- 270+ Easy Things to Do in Summer with Kids
- How to Prepare to Travel with a Baby: 6 Essential Tips
NOT READY TO START VIRTUAL FIELD TRIPS QUITE YET? PIN THIS POST FOR LATER!